Sunday, 8 April 2012

Witches' Milk

Yesterday during a gentle chest rub I felt hardish lumps behind Ed's nipples, the one on the left slightly larger. Naturally being first time parents we worried that this may be a problem (blocked sweat gland? Breast Cancer at 2 weeks?), but (after emailing our midwife) a quick Googling brought up the info I needed to set my mind at rest.

These lumps are a consequence of hormones passing through the baby's system from the mother, who has been the sole source of nutrition so far, and very good stuff it is too judging from his weight gain. In boys or girls these lumps can occur, and will fade away again over the coming weeks. It is even possible that he may expel some milk through his nipples, and this is known by the time-honored spooky title of Witches' milk.

I am reminded how lucky we are to have the internet to get these instant reasssurances, and to have a midwife who has called several times over Ed's first two weeks to check on Ed's and Beth's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment