Saturday, 28 July 2012

A Lovely Day

All of us had a great day today.

Martin woke up before Eddie and I did, and had some quiet time. Eddie woke up in a good mood, though earlier than I would have liked to wake up on a Saturday.

Mid-morning while it was still cool, Eddie and I went to Fred Meyer for a short shopping trip.  Instead of the stroller I tried using the Ergo baby carrier and Eddie was fantastic, looking around at the shelves and probably not paying attention to the explanations I was giving him about the differences between fruit 'juice' and fruit 'drinks'.  He was a little fussy getting back into the carseat - probably would have liked being out longer - but fell asleep on the way home and snoozed for maybe 45 minutes.

While he was snoozing, Martin headed out for his "day off" - we want to make sure being a SAHD doesn't overwhelm him like it seems to be doing for some of my SAHM peers, and to that end he gets dedicated time to do his own thing sans-baby.

Eddie woke up around 11 AM, and I wanted to do some house tidying but also play with him.  So I took him from room to room with me, and put him on the floor in new places that he wasn't used to.  He seemed to enjoy the novel perspectives.  He practiced his rolling back-to-front, and surveyed his locale from a right-side-up perspective for a while too.  When he got bored, I'd change rooms.  In the bedroom, we listened to fiddle music on my ipod while I worked.  For a while we were in the living room where I played my whistle for him.  That was apparently interesting enough that he didn't feel the need to flip onto his front.

When I got tired, we retired to the family room where he got to play with his new Fill 'n' Fun Water Mat for a while.  Technically he's too young for it, but he seems not to know that.


Eventually it was nap time, and he went down very easily at 1 PM.  At 2:45 he awoke crying very hard, which is unusual for him.  It took about 5 minutes of holding him before he was soothed; he refused to be put down anywhere.  Did he have a bad dream?  I have no idea.  But once he was sufficiently soothed, he was back to normal, though sleepier than usual.  He fell asleep again around 3 PM after being fed and pottied, and was asleep until 4.  Between 3 and 4 Martin came home from his adventures.  I pottied and fed Ed again, intending to take him outside to our paddling pool, but when I put him down to get my swimsuit on, he fell asleep again!  I did too this time, and we all had a nap for a little while.

By 6 we were all up again, and Ed played on his non-water mat for a little while.  Then when it got a little cooler out, I took him out in the back yard.  He sat in his stroller while I did some weeding of the lawn, and Martin hoovered some of the carpets inside to cut down on the sheen of damp cat hair that Ed collects on his hands all the time.  After a reasonable about of time he got bored just sitting and watching, so I took him out and played with him a bit in the back garden.  At one point he went up on my shoulders to say hello to our neighbour over the fence.

Eventually Eddie went back inside and Martin watched him while I continued weeding.  By the time I came in, Ed was asleep in his crib.  He's 'woken' once so far for a feed but wasn't really awake for it, and went straight back to sleep afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment