I enrolled her in a thirty-minutes-twice-a-week evening class at a center about ten minutes away from home. There are three kids in her class. She was so enthusiastic about being in the water that they had to draft another teacher in to basically give her one-on-one attention, because she refused to sit still and wait her turn when there was important swimming to be done!
They have the kids sit on these underwater platforms, I couldn't tell from the sidelines whether they were stretchy mesh or a solid surface. She was fine with sitting on it for the first few minutes but then I could see the switch in her behaviour to "but, but but, there's WATER to play in!" I thought she was going to get kicked out, but they just called in another teacher and she attended to her while the original teacher alternated between the other two kids, both of whom were happy to sit and watch when it wasn't their turn.
I wasn't sure if it was my parental bias or not, but it seemed to me like she was MUCH more comfortable in the water than the other kids her age. She was jumping off the platform, and willingly putting her face in the water, and stuff like that. The only thing I saw them do that she wouldn't do is jump into the pool from the side, and I think that was probably because she was worried that getting out (to jump) would mean she couldn't get back in!
The only time she showed the least bit of unhappiness....
...was when she was told the class was over. But she gets to go back on Wednesday, and twice a week most weeks for the next couple of months.
She also slept really well last night!
No comments:
Post a Comment