It has been a very long time since a text post was made on this blog, and for that we give our handful of readers a sincere apology. I have rarely had time over the last three months to sit down and write a post. Dominic is an excellent napper but he naps much better with company, and frankly the nighttime household sleep was so bad I needed the naps too!
So let's see, what has happened since early November? I will rely on Martin's emails to his parents for a reminder. November saw us all quite ill with winter colds and such. We did a lot of winterizing to try to save on energy costs, and blocked off our unused gas fireplace. Don't worry, we turned off the pilot light first! That plus putting plastic over a particular window removed the draftiness from the living room and made it much more comfortable for Dominic's floor-wriggles.
By the end of November, when we were apparently still sick, Martin had arranged for Ed to be moved from the lower two year old classroom to the higher two year old classroom at daycare. More structure, slightly older peers, and a teacher who really seems smitten by him, and he adores the new room. I also gifted a sign language dictionary to the class, and the two teachers who look after Eddie have excitedly been learning signs to use with him, and learning what his most commonly used signs are. (I wrote a list of common ones.)
In December we bought a new oven as our old one was inconsistently heating things and a real pain to clean. It was 15 years old, so about due for a change. This one has an induction cooktop so is safer for wandering little hands, the controls are on the back so they can't be reached by toddlers, and the solid surface is much easier to clean - though it is a special kind of glass so we can't use certain types of cleaning agents on it. We also got an Amazon Fire TV Stick, which frees us from Eddie's three favourite DVDs (all memorized by us now) and gives us all a wider range of entertainment options during the dark, cold winter.
By mid-December Dominic was able to roll onto his front and was quite pleased to be doing so, though less so when he discovered he was stuck. They both got vaccinations, and of course picked up another bug immediately after. Eddie ended up with another set of double ear infections, his third set in a little over a year. I got sick as well, and two sick boys plus a sick mom means dad needs to stay home and help out in the trenches. Hopefully that doesn't happen to often the rest of this winter.
By January Ed was healthy again, Dom was nursing a new cold, and Martin and I were finishing getting over the one that swept through the house in December. I decided to get Eddie's hearing checked to make sure all these infections and instances of fluid (he nearly always has fluid in his ears at doctor checkups) haven't done any damage. He failed it, probably due to fluid in his ears. So we had another more detailed one done later in the month. He failed it too, and again had fluid in his ears. They did a bone conduction test this time and that one was better - there's no sign of nerve damage in his ears. His pediatrician referred him to an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) doctor for further evaluation. I'll save that for another post.
In the last week of January, Dominic started daycare. To give both him and me some adjustment time, he went for two hours the first day, and we increased that by two hours every day until he was full time, 7:30-5:30, just like Eddie. He seems to really enjoy it, as he loves looking at people and now he has a lot of activity to look at all day.
Which brings us to February. I went back to work on February 2nd, which was also our wedding anniversary. People seem glad to have me back which is always nice! Martin and I carpool to save on gas and parking costs, and it's nice to have that extra time together in the mornings and afternoons, as well as occasional walks together at lunchtime (brisk ones, as my lunch time is only half an hour). I'm looking forward to the resumption of payday and the resumption of my health insurance, which both occur at the end of this month.
No comments:
Post a Comment